Prioritizing the Safety of our Healthcare Workers
Our Healthcare Workers have always been at the front lines of delivering immediate and vital care to our patients. During the unprecedented times of the COVID-19 outbreak, our Healthcare Workers were placed in a dangerous position, full of uncertainty. Ensuring their welfare during work has been especially important not only for their own health but also for the business and the quality of service that they provide to their patients. Every day, these hardworking professionals face different hazards during their duty, from being exposed to several infectious diseases and substances, to even workplace violence. In this blog, we will tackle the challenges faced by our Healthcare Workers on a day-to-day basis and the measures that can be taken to prioritize their safety.
- Infectious diseases:
- Influenza, Tuberculosis (TB), and Hepatitis are some of the common infectious diseases that can be spread in enclosed environments such as hospitals. Some of these diseases can be caused by injuries from sharp and pointed objects like catheters, syringes, and surgical blades.
- Physical violence:
- Violence can be present, even in hospitals. It affects and sometimes involves patients, co-workers, and visitors. Hospital staff such as nurses are often vulnerable and exposed to this because as they are directly involved in patient care.
- Ergonomic Strain:
- Injuries due to ergonomic strain are often caused by poor sitting posture, too much time standing, forceful exertions, lifting, eye strain due to poor or excessive lighting, and/or repetitive motions at work.
- Mental Health:
- Due to the nature of the healthcare industry, our Healthcare Workers experience extreme stress from being short-staffed, anxiety from witnessing traumatic events, and are subject to other stress-inducing situations that often result in burnout, depression, and other mental health challenges.
Training and Education
Continuous training and education for Healthcare Workers are excellent to always ensure their safety and well-being.
- Infection prevention and control:
- Standard precautions such as hand hygiene, cough etiquette, sharps safety, and proper disposal of medical devices like syringes and catheters.
- Safe patient handling:
- There are many different techniques that will help our Healthcare Workers properly handle patients while still ensuring their physical safety such as proper use of the patient lift, transfer belt, and slide sheets. There is also training available on the importance of body mechanics when moving patients. The use of proper balance and stability will greatly reduce the risks of injury.
- De-escalation techniques for managing challenging situations:
- The healthcare industry can be volatile. Once a harmful situation arises, proper handling of the situation should be the priority to avoid casualties and intensify the situation into a crisis.
- Mental Health programs:
- Counseling, therapy, medication, and recreational activities are a big help to our medical staff in preventing and/or dealing with different mental health challenges.
The Importance of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
The use of PPEs became much more common due to the recent COVID-19 pandemic. PPE continues to play a critical role in protecting our medical front liners to keep them safe by limiting their exposure to disease. Due to its performance, ensuring sufficient supply is always encouraged. Additionally, proper use and disposal of this equipment are very essential as if worn incorrectly, increases the likelihood for infectious disease to spread, even if it was previously contained.
As the first responders and protectors of the general mass, our Healthcare Workers’ safety should be the top priority. By implementing strategies and programs for the betterment of their well-being, we can reduce the risk of injury and illness for our modern-day heroes.
Looking for a company that truly cares about your well-being as a healthcare professional? Contact AG Globe Services to help find you the best healthcare employer that will always prioritize your safety.